A start to where?

Stories archived that are no longer relevant.
Tala Mercleis
Survivor
Survivor
Character Name: Tala Ecarias Mercleis
Character Race: Xodian X Dracokin
Character's Age: 26
Runic Element: Water

A start to where?

Post by Tala Mercleis »

Tala tilted her head to the side, studying Mara.  She had heard Belias call her a Seraph, and she had heard of them but had yet to really meet one.

She opened the book in her hands and turned to the first page and frowned reading and decoding her mother's code as she did.

Your father is Taal Merclies, but he was also Taal Zodo, the most feared and hated being in the world as we knew it.  He ruled with an iron fist, but he was not the first.  It was a cycle, one that was started and ended so many times.

I was a part of ending this last cycle, and since you are reading this the cycle has started again.  This time though my aim is to find a way to truly end it, to bring back the balance in the world and let the scales move as they should of their own instead of being twisted and forced.

One of the pieces I know that is needed is the sword I weilded against Taal Zodo, Legend. If Zodo existed in this world then so does Legend and its counter point Redeemer, though I do not know who will weild them in this world. The task of finding them won't be easy, and I wish there was an easier way and maybe there is but it hasn't been yet 

It continued on a bit more about how she had started finding Legend in pieces all over the world we had known, the first piece given to her by her mother and the key to finding the other pieces the bloodstone of her father.

I looked up at Mara, "Taal is my father, Taal Zodo he was when he meet my mother. When I was small in that other world he had me promise if we were ever separated that I would find and save him."  I gently closed my mother's book, "I have to fulfill that promise, for he fears for the world, and so do i." I tucked the book into a pocket of my cloak and growled low in my throat, sounding like my mother when she growled in frustration,  "to find Legend? Find redeemer? And to find their weilders?" I looked up to the heavens and took a few steps away from Mara.

"This book has information true, but my mother had the advantage of a dragon's bloodstone to help her.  I don't even know if Dragons still exist in this world let alone a stone of theirs,, or one that would even be kin to me." I sighed, turning back towards Mara, "so I have to find Legend, or maybe the weilder, but where do I start?"

Mara
Survivor
Survivor
Character Name: Mara
Character Race: angel - seraphim of Taal
Character's Profession: seraphim of Taal
Character's Age: appears 20
Runic Element: ???

Re: A start to where?

Post by Mara »

Mara sighs, " Dragons do exist. They are far more numerous here in this world than in the world your father constructed. Some live in the Acadian Mountains, others the Crystal Mountains. Most live in a land far from here though, and it is good that they do. " She turns to meet Tala eye to eye, " Your father's world, the world that we lived in, the dream. It was built for a single purpose, and many things he did get pretty close. But dragons.... they are a dangerous, unstable lot. "

Mara turns from Tala, " I am sorry to say that if you dig deep enough, you will find many things that were true in that world to be nothing more than a fairy tale here. Your father and Zodo have shared his body since before he could even talk, since before the Great Magic War. He cannot help who dwells within him, because unlike in the dream, he never had the choice. "

Mara wipes a few tears from her eyes, her large black wings slumped in resignation. " I do not know where Kymara's sword is.... but Ithlamar.... " She turns back to Tala, " The Redeemer.... it lies in Angeria, to the north east of here with its last bearer. It lies with.... " A few more drops swell within her pure white eyes, ". ... with my husband. "
Tala Mercleis
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Tala Mercleis »

Tala chuckled, "dragon's were an unstable and dangerous lot even in the dream, I only had dealings with them because they were kin to my mother. Most looked down on her for her half blood, but also respected her for what she had managed to achieve." Tala sighed as she plopped into a sitting position on the ground. At Mara's statements about digging deep enough she chuckled though it sounded more like a snort, "not surprising to be honest, just makes this more of a challenge that's for sure."

She placed her chin in her hand, her arm propped on her knee(sitting criss cross applesauce) and stared off into the distance as she listened to Mara. She thought she would feel frustrated, and she did, but she also found herself more curious. She focused on Mara, "he didn't have a choice? How is that possible? If Zodo had been contained, he wouldn't be able to free himself with out some one letting him out, atleast that's what I was always told." She tilted her head slightly to the side thinking, "Had some one made the choice for him? But why?" She suddenly popped up as she saw the moisture build in Mara's eyes and hugged her. She was quiet a moment, "what caused the dream to end Mara? The few people I have come across in the jungles says a major storm and disaster happened that caused everything to go haywire, but they know nothing more then that."

She looked Mara in the eyes, "I know it didn't end because Zodo had been defeated in the dream, otherwise I wouldn't exist," a smile played at the edge of her lips as she said that. "so something had to happen in this world, and the defeat of Zodo can't be it either." She searched Mara's white eyes and face, "what happened?"
Mara
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Mara »

The seraphim stood there for a moment as Tala hugged her, uncertain it seemed on just how to react to this gesture. In Mara's long life only three people have ever treated her with kindness; Taal, her husband, and now Tala. When the girl let go Mara sighed, " So, you wish to know? " She nods, " I shall tell you. I shall tell you what I know of the truth of things. "

Mara sends up a becon of light that shatters about them forming a dome of protective magic. "T aal had slept for a long time, under his own spell and very much injured from Legend. Having never received care, he was dying. In fact, his body did lie very much dead, nut Taal's mind persisted. It too though was failing, having been weakened greatly from attack after attack by the prisoner, Zodo. The world Taal created was dying along with his mind, it was growing dark and falling apart. El Anon knew that should Taal's mind give out, Zodo would come forth upon this world, without form and run rampant in anger. This was not desired, so a plan was developed. He would convince Taal and Zodo both that they were truly one and truly dead. Heroes, if you will, were brought out of Taal's world and shown the truth. They saw this world, with more than half in hospital suffering from the Dark Paralysis. They saw Taal's remains, watched by Spector. And they were tasked with showing this proof to Taal, who by this time had begun to accept that he and Zodo were one. When Taal Zodo was convinced, Zodo went deeper into Taal's mind as Taal's spirit went to Xodod, as did all in Taal's world. The real world, this place is called, was safe. For the time being. "

Mara sits upon a log, " You might question, how and why would Taal accept himself as Taal Zodo? In his created world he had told the story time and again of how Zodo possessed him when he made a faithful wish upon a broken orb to save his would-be bride. Surely he knew of a time before Zodo possessing him, yes? " Mara shakes her head, " Often times we create stories in our own minds that seem so real, that we believe them. The truth of the matter is far more tragic. Your father, his birth was not without tragedy. He was the product of incestual rape when Lector Clairstory raped his dear cousin, claiming to have been possessed at the time. She fled from her cousin and her family, and hid where she gave birth in secret to her son who would bear her maiden name. The birth, it claimed her life, and Taal himself was born with a terrible disease that would claim in before he would reach four."

" Lector, having felt such terrible guilt all that time soon found out about this. He swore on his cousin's grave that he would serve his penitence by caring for their child and saving their child, at all costs. Lector, he was true to his word. He bankrupt himself and went deep into debt seeking out the best healers the world had to offer. None could heal his son. About to give up, drunk in some bar he heard sailors talking of this magical orb that could grant any and every wish. So, Lector sold the very last of his estate, and even stole more to sell, then hired the best treasure hunters he could. By Taal's 4th birthday, they had found it, a cracked orb. Lector still wasn't sure that he believed that it would work, but he rushed with the orb to the hospital, and as his son lied dying in his arms, Lector pleaded and cried to the Orb to take whatever it wanted, but to heal his son. The orb did. "

Mara sighs, " As you might have guessed, this orb was the Orb of Power, and within it, the thing that gave it its power... was Zodo. Taal was the perfect host for Zodo, for Taal was born of two offsprings of Zodo's line. The orb healed Taal by having Zodo dwell within him, and within him Zodo slept, waiting for when Taal would become a man and then Zodo would take over. As Taal grew, Lector noticed some oddities. Taal was developing magic - a power yet realized in the First Era, and Taal had foresight. Lector became aware that something had changed with his son, and he sought answers. After reading countless tomes, Lector read the Holy Incantations, and there he saw it. Taal, his dear son, had become the vessel of the dark god of power, Zodo, and through him, Zodo would enslave the world. When he told his now adolescent son this, Taal believed him, saying he could hear the whispers within him and had visions of what he would do. Together, the two made a plan. They would let Zodo awaken enough to be caught off guard, and then trap him in Taal's on mind as Taal slumbered, until they could come up with a way to pull Zodo from Taal and trap him back in the orb. "

Mara smiles slightly, " As dark and tragic as it was, the Great Magic War that ended the First Era, that was all a great rouse to trap Zodo within Taal's mind. You see, Lector and Taal came to know something that perhaps Zodo didn't even realize, that Zodo dwelling within Taal had made Taal himself a god, he had become the god of dreams and illusions and could craft realistic realms for those who slept. Lector knew that only Legend would be strong enough to wound Zodo so that Taal could make the spell happen. And Lector pulled it all of in a way that history would remember Emperor Killian Xerxes as the villain and Taal as the hero, so that when he could restore Taal Taal would come to a world that honored him instead of hated him. "

Mara sighs, " But.... a way was never found. Lector gave his life looking for a way, while his son's body eventually gave way to time and rot. El Anon and the other gods could not... would not.... allow Zodo back in this world. Taal and Zodo would have to go to Xodod. But, they did allow for those who had bodies still alive and sleeping here to awaken into this world in an event called the Great Awakening. Those who didn't have bodies, or those who were doppelgangers of those in the real world, their spirit too were real but they had no place to go. So they too went to Xodod ." She tilts her head slightly, " Yes Tala, though you luckily should have no memory of it, you too were in Xodod for a time. "

Mara looks down, " As was I. In Xodod we all came face to face with our guilt. My guilt was that I felt like a liar, I had everyone believe that they would be safe, yet here we were in Xodod. I loathed myself, and my loathing changed me from seraphim to tiefling. I met with another tiefling and a xodian and we decided to see if the stories were right about a door out of Xodod into the real world through Castle Forsaken, and by that I mean the Castle Forsaken in Xodod. Despite what one might think, it was and is empty. It was difficult, but we found it, came through, and got separated. I was caught and enslaved and made into a sex slave, for a few years before the man who would become my husband found me and set me free. I traveled with him, fell in love with him. The Angerian king asked us to check out rumors of cultists going into this world's Castle Forsaken looking to resurrect Zodo. We did, and we found the xodian who escaped Xodod with me. He told us he too was looking for these cultists, and that there were clues hidden in the paintings Taal painted. These paintings were of things that had not yet happened when a younger Taal had painted them. As he searched the paintings, I became aware that they were telling the story of my past in Taal's world, and knew then that I had to go to his "Lost Painting", a crystal dragon scale that showed the truth of yourself. Before this scale, I threw down my shackles of guilt and reclaimed my seraphim form. Seeing me accept my truth, the Xodian told us that he had stolen the stone of chaos from the demon prince Belthazar, and planned to use it to force the gods to give the souls in Xodod who never had a chance in this world a chance. Seeing this as a chance to make things right, my husband and I agreed to help him. We went into Taal's personal quarters and used the stone. The affects was the Great Collapse, rifts opened, magic storms formed, and the world threatened to break while the gates of Xodod opened. The gods relented, and those in Xodod such as yourself got their chance... so all was good. "

Mara's face darkens, " Little did we realize.... that included Taal, and Zodo was still within him... "

Mara looks back up at Tala, " So you see, Taal never knew a life without Zodo for he had Zodo within him from very young. The plan to save him failed. And now, he hides in his old childhood home of Castle Forsaken, wishing that he was dead while the armies of Xodod emerge trying to bring forth the dark god within him. "
Tala Mercleis
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Tala Mercleis »

Tala was quiet while Mara spoke, telling her what she knew. Her mind was storing the information, studying it and trying to fit it I to the picture of the world she knew and it fit easily.

After Mara finished speaking Tala looked at her, "the original plan seems to have failed, but it isn't over." She tilted her head to the side thinking, "Father is just a pawn and a king in this. He is the prize and what needs to be protected, but for making moves or strategies he is only a pawn and must rely on others. Knowing my father he fears that, not cause of not wanting the help but not wanting those he cares about putting themselves on the line."

She turned to the side and walked a few steps before turning 180 and walking back. "Both my parents have taught me from as far back as I remember strategy, combat, demons and theology." She shook her head as a faint smile crossed her face, I wondered why until the first time I meet some of my mother's dragon kin, what was left still alive. It made sense, they were dangerous, crafty, predators in the highest sense. "

She shook her head and looked at Mara, her face softening and resembling Taal for a moment, "Father knows this isn't over, and I won't let him down." She grins, "or atleast die trying."

"I guess the best place to start would be were Legend was last seen? Unless that's at castle forsaken, and I'll have to figure out a different...." She paused frowning a second looking at Mara again.

"I'm sorry, I know my father fatheyou to protect me, and that you pledged to do so, UT you do not have to come with me on this. I don't want to bring you pain, and you must miss your husband." She placed a hand on Mara's shoulder, "I would greatly appreciate and be grateful if you do come with, but I can understand if you can not bring yourself to."
Mara
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Mara »

Mara smiles faintly, walking over and putting her hands on both of Tala's shoulders, " Yes it is true. I do miss my husband dearly. I have missed him since he drew his last breath. He has went to where I cannot follow."

She lowers her hands, " Staying away from Castle Forsaken would be wise. While I do not doubt that your father would be happy to see you, he would fear for anything that could happen to you there ." She sighs, " I know not where to begin looking for Legend. But Ithlamar, that sword I can take you to it. So where do you want to go, after legends or redemption? "

Mara smirks, " Oh, and I was asked to protect you yes, but I choose to stay with you. "
Tala Mercleis
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Tala Mercleis »

Tala smiled, but there was a hint of sadness at Mara's answer. She reached up and squeezed her hands, and sighed, "well, I do not know who the next wielder of Ithlamar is, and from what little I have heard of that sword, it isn't easy to carry if you are not the one meant to wield it. I have a feeling it would draw attention that would be best not drawn." She frowned and shrugged out of Mara's grasp and paced for a few moments, patting where she had stashed her mother's notebook.

"I guess we go after Legend, but there is little I know about it, except what my mother had told me, and what she wrote down." She paused, "but perhaps she gave me a starting place, I have a feeling if she is alive, she is looking for a way to help Father, and probably has a back up plan in place if she fails."

She pulled the book back out and thumbed through a few more pages, scanning for names of places or people and the first name she came across after Tannhauser was Ian Mercleis. She looked up at Mara, "do you know anything about Ian Mercleis?"
Mara
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Mara »

Mara smiles sadly, " Like mother, like daughter. I can only pray that you may never need to raise it against your father. " She shakes her head, " But I do suppose you are right. Not everyone can carry the burden of Ithalmar. It takes a heart and soul that knows true forgiveness to wield it. My husband knew it, he loved me even before I forgave myself and bore the appearance of a tiefling demon. Those who can't wield it, fall. " Mara wipes a tear from her eyes, " But what if we do not find Legend? What if someone finds it first? " Mara shivered in that thought. She knew that Tala was likely not the only potential wielder awoken. The dream world had another that had disappeared. A terrible paladin of such self righteous hate.... somehow he wielded Legend there, could he here?

She thinks for a moment, " Ian Mercleis? Yes, he was king of Chaladonia. He led the charge to wrest it from his insane cousin and defended it against a runebeast freed from Xodod. It is sad that he has died, leaving the throne empty and Chaladonia in disarray. " She looks curiously at Tala, " But, why do you wish to know? You do not think that he held the sacred sword, do you? "

Tala Mercleis
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Tala Mercleis »

Tala sighed, "good question. I don't know, to tell you the truth. Also, who is to say that I will even be able to wield it? What if I find it, but can only look at it?" Tala shrugged her shoulders, "there are a lot of unknowns and what ifs Mara. But I have to have hope that my mother has a plan and that to help I have to find Legend and go from there."

She looked at Mara again, "I don't think he held Legend, but I think he may have something that would help us either find Legend, or perhaps more information to be able to find Legend. And I don't think that it'll be him we need, but his tomb. I just have a feeling that's the next step that we need to take."

She sighed as she looked back towards the ruins they had left, "Where ever you are mother, I hope you are well." she murmured and her eyes closed a moment, and she said even softer, "hold on Papa, just hold on, help is coming."
Mara
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Mara »

Mara sighs, clasping her hands together and a deep sadness etched on her face, " I am afraid that Legend is not so picky. Just as any person could preach the words of the Sol Anon, so could anyone wield her word made manifest. " She shakes her head, ' Nay, Legend will simply choose the first to find her. In those hands her power could be brought to terrible end for a supposedly just and holy cause, but as always when used incorrectly it shall shatter. "

Mara shakes her head, " It is likely King Ian is buried in the royal crypts in Bellitose. Such a place would be terribly dangerous for you or I now. Darkness and chaos has settled there as the legions of Xodod seek to take the holy city and Imperial Captial for Zodo ." Mara sighs, " If Legend is truly what you seek, then we should go to the Tomb of your father. I feel we will find more clues there than in Bellitose at the present. "