Wanderer

Stories archived that are no longer relevant.
Daffodil
Neophyte
Neophyte
Character Name: Daffodil
Character Race: Plains Elf
Character's Profession: Wanderer/Hunter
Character's Age: 25

Wanderer

Post by Daffodil »

Daffodil had no idea where she was. Somewhere in the west still was about all she could discern. Had it been days, or weeks since she had left the place she where she had buried her friends and relatives. It had taken a long time to dig the graves, but she had done so with tears in her usually stoic face the entire time. She had said a prayer over each grave, telling them all that she would go on and find another group to join. Daffodil had no idea whom or what that group would consist of, but she longed for the companionship and easy camaraderie she had had with her kin and friends.

Though she had no clue as to where she was, all of the land was beginning to look the same to her, she knew that she needed water and food before too much longer. But hunting had been scarce and water even more so. Oh sure, she had the water in her water skin, but it was nearly gone, and the food from her last hunt, a measly creature it had been, had been gone for two days now. She had not eaten since and was conserving what water she had until she could find more. 

Growing weary of her trek across the land, she spotted a large bolder up ahead that would provide her some shade from the heat of the sun. Daffodil made her way towards it and sank gratefully into the shadow of the huge rock. Wiping sweat from her brow she made herself as comfortable as she could and closed her eyes. Maybe after a short nap she'd be able to find some water and hunt some game. Either way, she was too tired to do it right now. Her staff close at her side and her items strung about her person, she slowed her breathing and focused on falling asleep, rather than the lack of food in her stomach. 
Taaron NaDir
Neophyte
Neophyte
Character Name: Taaron Na'Dir
Character Race: elf
Character's Profession: brother to the king
Character's Age: unknown, looks mid to early twenties
Runic Element: Air

Re: Wanderer

Post by Taaron NaDir »

With a sudden shock of deep breath, Taaron's eyes shot open. Darkness, nothing but darkness engulfed him. He felt around as best he could and he could easily tell that he was confined within a box just barely his size. No, the box was actually shorter than him, his legs pressed through splintered wood and his toes wiggled in compacted dirt. Panic soon overtook him, panic and confusion. Where was he?

Taking a deep breath, he though back to his last memory. He was within his own mind talking to another elf, Tannhauser. Tannhauser, the true Tannhauser it seemed, had reclaimed his body and left him without, but being merciful the other asked of the god of death to give him another chance at life. Taaron sighed, the chance of life was within the very coffin that held Tannhauser who fell to Dark Paralysis here as a young child. It was why he didn't fit. The Spector restored him within this world's version of Tannhauser, restored the body and aged it appropriately, while the true spirit of Tannhauser dwelled within the body of a boy who became him under false pretenses.

'I must get out of here,' Taaron thought, and began pushing against the lid of the coffin. Digging deep, he channeled what little control over the air he had to help give him enough push, eventually breaking through the lid. Loose dirt came falling in, and Taaron rose through it, struggling as he dug upwards until his hands finally broke free.

Grabbing onto the tera firma, the elf struggled until he was half way out of his grave. Some brush did cover it, and the grass was over grown, but little else was there. Trying desperately to clear the dirt from his eyes and peer through the blinding light, Taaron thought he could see something or some one by a large boulder. Weekly, with a heavily parched throat and mouth, Taaron cried out "H.... he.... help....."

His muscles ached terribly, his legs still trapped within the ground and he could feel worms moving past his toes. Hunger pangs kicked in, his body severally lacking any kind of nourishment. Weekly he reached for the figure, and again he attempted a weak "Help" before once again darkness overtook him...

TAG: @Daffodil @dreamwriter05

Daffodil
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by Daffodil »

So tired, she was just so tired, and yet sleep eluded her. In the shade of the boulder, she felt somewhat better, though her stomach rumbled and her mouth was parched and dry. She was in desperate need of water, first and foremost, followed by food. What water she had wasn't much. Not more than a cup's worth. Daffodil tried not to think of what she needed and didn't have. Instead, she tried to think of what she still had. The clothes on her back, her gear, and most importantly, her life. She was still alive and the others were not. Her friends and family were gone, buried just days past with tears in her normally stoic expression.

Now though, as Daffodil thought perhaps she had heard a voice, her eyes snapped open, her hand going to the staff that lay next to her on the ground. Though not in the greatest state, she still had her senses and was not about to let herself be caught unawares by another of the monsters that had attacked and killed so many. Or any other creature for that matter. Yet as her eyes scanned the land before her, she saw in the distance hidden within the grass the body of another.

Blinking, she looked again to be certain that the heat was not playing with her mind or her senses. How had she not seen a person in the grass before? Surely she would have, her senses were too good to not have seen it before. Yet, she was without food, had had little water the last day or so and it was an exceedingly hot day. All those things were factors that could play into what she was seeing, what she had heard. Daffodil knew better than to doubt her gut though and right now it was telling her that this person, whoever it was, needed help.

The distance to the person, another elf it seemed, was surprisingly short as she scrabbled over to him just as he seemed to pass out. He was half in the dirt and half out and looked even worse than she felt. Daffodil knew only one thing though, she had to help him.

"Hey! Wake up!"

Daffodil hurriedly scooped dirt away from the man getting it on her clothes and everywhere else as she tried to dig him free enough that she could pull him the rest of the way out of the Earth.

"Stay with me. Whoever you are. Stay with me!"

She dug and dug until she felt that she had uncovered enough of him to pull him the rest of the way out. Panting, she stood and wrapped her arms around his torso she heaved with all her might. Daffodil didn't let go though as he didn't come but an inch out of the ground. Instead, she gathered her strength and with a loud grunt of effort was able to pull him from the dirt. She fell backward, his body landing on hers, and she gave an oomph of surprise.

Pushing him off of her, she dragged him back towards the shade of the boulder. He was heavy, though his body appeared slight and with less nourishment than her own. Once in the shade, she took stock of the situation before her. He was in desperate need of food and water, just as she was and as she had guessed, she had only about a cup's worth of water left in her skin. She had to give him what she could though. Enough to get him up and talking. She just prayed that she could find water again soon, or that it wouldn't take much to revive him.

Kneeling she pulled his head into her lap, positioning it at an optimum angle for him to drink but not choke on the water. Taking a breath she uncorked the water skin and pressed it to his parched lips. Carefully she tilted it so the water would run into his mouth as a slow trickle.

"Drink, but slowly. There isn't much but we will make do. Drink," she commanded softly.
Taaron NaDir
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by Taaron NaDir »

Taaron could not hear nor feel the world around him, or the other who was trying desperately to rouse him. Instead he found himself surrounded by darkness... no the void, for it was far more than the simple absence of light... it was the absence of all senses. He was aware of the nothingness that surrounded him, and his place in it, but there was nothing to even suggest to him that he should be aware at all. It was a weightlessness, and feeling of disconnection, and a feeling of no feeling whatsoever.

Then as suddenly as thought, walls of an ancient tomb or ruin of some sort sprung about and around him. A floor of broken marble, busted columns and grand architecture destroyed and ravaged by the brutal hands of time. The place seemed both familiar and foreign to him. Scanning the area, he saw a girl tracing the walls with her right hand. She stood no more than 4 feet, wore a white dress, and had blond hair that darkened to pure black as it graced her shoulders.

Though Taaron could still feel nothing, not even a sense of proprioception, he found that he could move quite freely. It was like floating, really, though without even knowing or feeling the sensation of floating. Yet because he willed it, he was able to move to the girl. "Are you lost?" he asked, "do you need help?"
The girl giggled, "You are growing," she smiled. "Before his awakening, you'd have asked for yourself before others. This is good."
Taaron looked at her confused, "I... I'm growing? Do we know each other?" She turns her face to Taaron, one eye pure black, the other pure white, "You may not remember me, but I know you well. I am Ky'Yurei. I know of all whom the Sol Anon knows."

"The Ky'Yurei...." Taaron gasped, "I should bow, but I am afraid I do not know how.... I have no sense of a body, place, weight... time..."

Ky'Yurei giggled, "Oh that's ok. You are disconnected from yourself. Spector has risen you a body, but has forgotten to ensure that the body was well cared for." She smiled sheepishly, "Well, maybe not have forgotten. I suspect he wanted you this way, a final test perhaps? A chance to hear a word of warning and prophesy? Or maybe a chance to truly be accepted and accept yourself."

"So, I am dead?" "No, not quite," she said in a singsong tune, "well... not yet." Confused, Taaron sighed, "So, where is this then?" The girl giggled, "Oh, you do not recognize it? Palace Na'Dir?" Taaron shaked his head, "It is similar, but not quite right. Is this a future projection? Could so much have changed in twelve years?"

Ky'Yurei sighed, "No, the palace you know is still as you knew it. This is its mirror, the palace that Tannhauser left in the dream, where before the breaking of Taal's world, his body rested forgotten."

Taaron looks around, "His castle, similar to reality, in the world of the dreamers....?" He shakes his head, "I am not certain I fully understand, nor why I'd be shown this place...."

Ky'Yurei turns to Taaron, "Because, you need to see. You need to know, for Zodo stirs, and he aims to recreate the world as it were in Taal's dream. To enslave all to eternal bondage to him, to be the only god." She sighs, "His followers are gathering, one has the throne of the elf kingdom, who seeks to bring you to your doom. Her forces will soon be upon you and your would be rescuer."

Taaron looks around and gasps as water begins to fill the room, soon replaced by blinding light. Ky'Yurei's voice practically screams within him, "You must live!"
---

As the water from Daffodil's waterskin trickled into Taaron's mouth, the sky began to darken and a cool wind picked up. Taaron's eyes shot open, and he leaned forward coughing and expelling the water from within. Slowly the world came into focus around him. Taaron's right hand grabbed the plain's elf's hand and he remarked, "We.. we gotta run! We gotta hide!"
Off in the distance howling could be heard...
Daffodil
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by Daffodil »

"Come on now. Drink," she commanded softly when the water just barely passed his lips. In the next moment though, he was coughing water up and the sky above was darkening more quickly than was normal. Eyes wide, Daffodil tuned into her senses. She heard the howling and felt the evil on the air. Something was coming towards them and quickly, and if she bothered to look, she would have been able to confirm for a fact that at least one Grypas was in the horde that was making a swift path towards her and this strange, thin elf.

The strange elf grabbed her hand and said they must run. He tugged on her to get her moving and she leapt to her feet, quickly stoppering the water skin and scooping up her staff.

"There is at least one Grypas in whatever is after us," she said as they ran as fast as their weakened legs would carry them. "I don't know about you, but I have no desire to face one of those again." Anger flashed in her eyes at the thought of the Grypas that had attacked her friends and family, killing them all except her for she had run rather than fight. Daffodil knew that she could not defeat one of them, at least not on her own, and in her weakened state, she would be at an even greater disadvantage. Though if she had to admit to herself, she wanted revenge for the senseless killing of her loved ones.

Keeping her senses on high alert, she ran, her booted feet pounding the ground with every step. "We need to find safety, fast. We are both too weak to fight anything, and we can't keep running forever. Please tell me you know this area better than I do." The howling behind them sounded ever closer and she did her best not to shudder in fear. The evil in the air was thick, almost suffocating and she wondered why this all was suddenly happening to her and what it could mean.
Taaron NaDir
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by Taaron NaDir »

"Know the area?" Taaron flashes a smirk, "I should hope so madam." He thinks quickly, "We should run north east. If we can reach the Elgin Wood, we should loose them. Those abominations of Xodod shan't find us in there."

Taaron grabs the girl's hand and takes off for a run. It was easier said than done of course, both being hungry and thirsty beyond measure, and well Taaron's muscles were still trying to remember their use. If it weren't for the sheer sense of mortal dread empowering them, they would likely have not made it. But made it they did, after a hard run for what seemed an eternity with the howling getting closer, the two made it into the dark shade of the ancient Elgin Wood. Taaron quickly grabbed onto a tree and with a strength and agility likely fuelled by some protective deity, he was able to pull the two of them up into the thick canopy. The thick broad leaves of the Elgin Sapia that grew here made the perfect shelter and the magic that seeped through these ancient trees would dull the senses of their pursuers.

Taaron watched in hushed anticipation as the hunting party of demonic hound-like beasts with their dark elf masters came to the forests edge. As they started into the forest they soon lost their prey's scent and grew confused. Knowing well why, the dark elf masters pulled the grypas to heel and retreated. Once the hunting party was gone, Taaron let out a sigh of relief, "I was hoping the stories were wrong...."

Taaron takes out the knife that had been buried with him, and taps the thick tree trunk. He grabs one of the very large leaves and lets the light blue sap pool into it. Taking a sip of the sap, Taaron lets out a sigh of relief and passes the leaf to the girl, "Here, it might not be much, but it will sustain us for the time being."

Taaron flashes a friendly smile, "So, I suppose introductions are in order. I am Taaron." He decided for now to not speak of his last name. He was sure it would at the very least cause confusion.
Daffodil
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by Daffodil »

Muscles burning with the exertion, Daffodil ran as fast as her long legs would carry her, her hand still in that of the strange elf she had dug out of the ground. Had he been buried alive? No. The ground had been undisturbed until he had apparently clawed his way out. No one could survive so long under the ground in such a manner. So could he be one of those that were...what was the word? Awakened? Daffodil didn't know but something about the way his hand gripped hers, the way he was so ready to help her, gave her comfort that she hadn't felt since before the Grypas attacked her tribe and slaughtered them all. 

As they entered the woods, he helped her scramble up one of the huge trees and once high enough, they stopped and rested, waiting with baited breath. As the monsters came into the woods, Daffodil gasped at the sight of them. Quickly and with wide eyes, she slapped a hand over her mouth. Though it was a little late for that, the sound had already escaped her. Yet when the monsters and their masters retreated, she let out a silent breath and slumped against another branch that was close to where she sat.

Watching him curiously she wondered who he was. Did he look familiar? Certainly not, he had been in the ground for who knew how long. Using a knife he had had with him, he stabbed the trunk of the tree and let some of the sap out onto one of it's huge leaves. After taking a drink of the blue liquid, he passed the leaf to her. With the smallest of smiles she accepted and drank deeply of what was there. With a satisfied sigh, she handed the leaf back to him and then dug in one of her many pouches and pockets on her person. After a moment she pulled out a tap that her people used in the same way he had used his knife. Daffodil handed it to him and said somewhat shyly, "You might need your knife. This will be better for getting the sap from the tree."

Daffodil listened to him, her head tilting slightly as she did as if by doing so she could absorb and hear that which he did not say. "Taaron," she said, the name rolling off her tongue easily. It was a name she'd heard before but she couldn't remember where or in what context. "I am Daffodil. Though.. I used to be called Daffney by my kin."

"How do you know so much about this place? And how is it you came out of the undisturbed ground in that manner?" Her stomach grumbled at her but she ignored it and instead went back to questioning him, not giving him but a few seconds to answer between questions. "What were those that pulled back the monsters? Do you know why they were after us?"
Taaron NaDir
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by Taaron NaDir »

Taaron sighs, "Alright, I doubt you would believe me, but I am not fond of lies. Especially since I had been so involved in one..." Taaron thinks about the life he lived, the woman he was married too... how all of it was due to the true elven king having fallen to the Dark Paralysis. A lie to keep the kingdom from falling, so they said.

Taaron turns back to the woman, "That is where I was laid to rest, many years ago. Or, should I say, the person who's life I had lived." He chuckles, "Yeah, you must think that I am crazy, but nothing is sane in a world where the gods meddle." He motions back with his head, "Those men that held control over the demonic hounds? They are our kin from the Underdark, the dark elves. Worshippers of power, many worship Zodo, and they have since become the core of Queen Camphera's army." The name rolled off his tongue, leaving a bittersweet taste. He sighed and slumped back.

"I know this land well, though probably not as well as the wood elves who inhabit it. I know much of Eleusia.... at least the Eleusia since before the Great Collapse. Elgin Wood is a sacred wood, and a haunted one. It is ancient, and is known for not letting go those souls who die here. They get trapped, lost and confused in this forest." He smiled, "Or so the legends go. Truth is, it is rich with magic, and those beasts would be confused by it since it is magic they sense."

Taaron kept his smile, "T'is a pleasure Daffney. If you desire to leave, you are free to do so." He leaned back against the thick trunk of the huge tree that carried them, looking up through the broad leaves, "Or..... you could stay. The true king is coming, he will need all the help he can get."
dreamwriter05
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by dreamwriter05 »

Daffodil scanned her memories for some sort of recognition as to what he was saying. Yet, though he was claiming to tell the truth, and she felt that he was, little of what he said made sense to her. The look on her face was one of pure confusion and total puzzlement. Finally after searching her memories and taking in his words she gave up and shrugged. 

"I don't doubt that you are telling the truth. However, my...instruction has not been along the lines of such things. Survival, the seasons, tracking and hunting, directions. Those are the things that I know of." Daffodil scratched behind one pointed ear and looked away, not sure what to say. When he mentioned she could go or stay, she knew instantly that she needed to stay with him. There was no other choice for her. On her own, she'd likely die quickly, but with another, they could protect one another and hunt together to feed themselves.

"I would prefer to stay with you, if you do not mind," she stated matter-of-factly. "I..." her voice cracked and she fought back the sorrow. "My people, the ones I was living with..." She took a deep breath and forced herself to be calm, or at the very least to sound that way. "They are all dead. A Grypas attacked us and I was the only one to make it out alive. I was..too scared to try and fight it," she admitted sadly. "I hid and when I wasn't looking, something struck the back of my head." Daffodil rubbed the spot that was now just a small bump on her scalp covered by her hair. "When I came too I saw in the distance one of those dark elves. It was searching among my people. Looking for what, I do not know. But I stayed silent and when it left and the coast was clear, I got up and buried them all."

"Then, after I said a prayer for them, I gathered up what I could and started walking, looking for others that might have me. You see, I am not yet an adult. There is but one full moon before I am of age. Then it was too hot to continue on, food had been scarace and I was out. My water nearly gone and that is when I found you. I have no where to go. I have no idea where more of my people are. But despite what happened, I am of the belief that there is safety in numbers. So, if you will have me, I'd prefer to stay with you."